Don’t join the Peace Corps
You heard me. Don’t do it. I’m telling you, it’s going to break your heart.
The Core Expectations for Volunteers states you are expected to “serve where the Peace Corps asks you to go, under conditions of hardship, if necessary…” What it doesn’t state however is just what hardship means.
Right now you’re thinking, “Oh. There’ll be no flush toilets or showers. I can handle that. I might have to squash a few spiders, but for the high calling of changing the world, I think I can put up with those things.”
But the truth is, hardship isn’t the quirky and fun hardship you’re expecting, where each new day brings adventure upon crazy adventure, more wonderful than the next. True hardship is much more sobering.
During your service you might have to bury a neighbor. Or watch helplessly as your host family is torn to pieces by corruption. You might show up to school to learn one of your students was killed by a classmate. Your host sister could be kidnapped and forced to marry a man she’s never met. You might witness abuse, violence and mistreatment. You may see your best student lose to a kid from another school because his bribe was the biggest. Your dog might be fed a needle, just to quiet it down, forever.
And if none of that happens, then something else will. There’s just no knowing how hard it will be or it what way. It could be dealing with other volunteers is your biggest challenge. Or that you can never live up to the expectations of your host organization. Or that the Internet is so accessible you spend your entire day trolling Facebook, jealous of all the lives continuing on back home.
And what about all the things you’ll give up? Your boyfriend might not wait two years for you. You’ll put your career on hold. Your familiar support networks probably won’t be around – there’ll be no gym, no fast food joint, no car to drive, no family to visit. The stress and diet could make you lose thirty pounds—or gain thirty—whichever you don’t want.
The Peace Corps uses phrases like, “Life is calling. How far will you go?” and in a breath you’re ready to sign your name on the line. But two years is a long, long time and in the middle you find the world you wanted to change is a confusing and complex puzzle of which you are just one, tiny piece.
So please, if you’re not ready for the heartbreak in the hardship, don’t join the Peace Corps.
Because you might just find that all your blood, sweat and tears are worth it – worth the pain, worth the time and worth the investment in the people for whom your heart breaks. Because you might learn some of the most important lessons of your life – that a broken heart can heal stronger than it was before, that a softened heart has more compassion for the world, and that in between its cracks and fissures is the only place where true beauty and grace can grow.
- nhanexistent likes this
- crownprince81 likes this
- trustthedoctors likes this
- luciiftw likes this
- the-tolkien-minority reblogged this from peacecorps
- disneybabble likes this
- surelykiwibird reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- treepeoplemafia reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc and added:
- bluehawaiiyah reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc and added:
- cliffdvr likes this
- sourpunchsong likes this
- louderthanmiranda likes this
- lauralovesbach reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- hayhay714 reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- hayhay714 likes this
- olyssi likes this
- skyfishdisco likes this
- you-cant-stop-the-moriparty likes this
- amaranthman reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- nerd--vana likes this
- scarred-cinderella reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- dalek0verl0rd reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc and added:
- dalek0verl0rd likes this
- the-kind-of-average-gatsby likes this
- he-brews-hope likes this
- tinglingtokers likes this
- frenchhorngirl1 likes this
- phantasmofthenight likes this
- guyanameganharper likes this
- spaace-queeen reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- jadefu523 reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- highsocietywhit likes this
- lovedoesntconquer likes this
- topomir likes this
- racheldownyourthroat likes this
- admiremyskeletondear reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- sunpoisoned likes this
- invizohh-ninjahh likes this
- zoepicture likes this
- ambivalent-abstraction likes this
- yogiraffeee likes this
- dadaists likes this
- worries-clutter-the-mind reblogged this from what-i-learned-in-the-pc
- worries-clutter-the-mind likes this
- i-solemly-swear- likes this
- octupywallst likes this
- dropdead-jess likes this
- summerlextasy likes this