Food Fridays: Mafe (Senegal)
This delicious recipe for lamb and peanut stew comes from Amber Patterson in Massachusetts:
- Cooking oil
- 1-2 lbs. lamb
- 1 C peanut butter
- 1-2 C water or beef broth
- 1 Maggi cube (chicken bouillon also works)
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2-4 tomatoes, cut into sections
- 1 hot chile pepper
- 1 or more chopped vegetables: cabbage, carrots; eggplant, potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, or turnips are commonly used
- Salt & black pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté meat & onions over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the peanut butter & water. Simmer for about 30 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Reduce heat and add peanut butter. Stir.
- Add water or broth as needed to make a smooth sauce.
- Serve over rice.